Contemporary jazz is an umbrella term for all kinds of jazz music being played now - as well as jazz music of the 80s, 90s, 00s & 10s – which can feature some or all of the following:
- highly chromatic harmonies (verging on impressionist or atonal)
- rhythmic experimentation (cross rhythms, changing time signatures)
- development of a groove based on just two or three chords
- instruments used in experimental ways (melodic instruments used in percussive roles, harmonics and other virtuoso performing techniques)
- world music and avant garde influences and inclusion of instruments never used seriously in jazz before (flugelhorn, flute or oboe)
Further info including reviews and biographies can be found on the All Music website.
Contemporary jazz track.
- Jazz (N3 & N3 Tech)