Frequency response is the range of frequencies that a microphone will reproduce at a similar level. The following is a list of instruments and the microphone frequency response that is needed to record with. Of course you can go for a wider range response, but don’t go for less!
- Most instruments: 80 Hz to 15 kHz
- Bass instruments: 40 Hz to 4 kHz
- Brass and Vocals: 80 Hz to 12 kHz
- Piano: 40 Hz to 12 kHz
- Acoustic Guitar: 80 Hz to 11kHz
- Cymbals and some percussion: 300 Hz to 15 - 20 kHz
- Orchestra or symphonic band: 40 Hz to 15 kHz
Some microphones have switches that alter their frequency response, such as a low-cut filter.